|Minced beef in filo pastry parcel|
- 1 pack of filo pastry sheets
- 225 g lean minced beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, drain off the juice
- 3 medium chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- a knob of melted butter (or vegetable spread)
- oil for greasing
- Cook the mince, until it goes brown
- Add the chopped onion and cook for another 2 – mins until it goes soft
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add the cumin and chopped tomatoes
- Add the mushrooms
- Set aside
- Grease a loaf tin with a little oil
- Add one layer of filo pastry, then brush with a little of the butter
- Add 5 or 6 layers of filo, turning each of them 90 degrees so they create an uneven base for the mixture.After each layer brush a little more butter.
- Strain your mince mixture if liquid has accumulated, then add on top of the pastry.
- Fold over each layer of pastry, and stick the layers down using more of the butter.
- Fold the pastry in a loose uneven fashion. This will make the dish look better when it is cooked.
- Finally brush the top with butter.
- Cook for 10-12 mins in the oven at 200 degrees c, or until the pastry is golden brown.
Children love this dish, you can just amend the ingredients to those that suit them. I add tomato ketchup to some cooked plain minced beef to provide the filling, as my son prefers his vegetables ‘on the side’ not ‘in the dish’.
You could add a splash of Worcestershire Sauce or some chilli pepper for a more zingy dish.