|Easy sausage rolls|
- 6 pork sausages
- 1 pack of ready to use puff pastry
- 1 dessert apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- A little flour and oil.
- Cut the tip off the sausages and squeeze the meat into a bowl.
- Add the apple and any optional ingredients (see notes).
- Set aside.
- Lightly flour your working surface and unroll the puff pastry, cut in half longways, so you have two letterbox shapes pieces of pastry.
- Set one piece aside.
- Divide the sausage mixture into half and spoon half along the middle of the pastry, into a sausage shape.
- Brush one long side of the pastry with egg yolk, and wrap the other long side tightly but gently over the sausage mix. Brush the top edge with egg yolk, and roll the rest of the sausage and pastry until you have one long sausage roll.
- Turn the roll over and press on the join the make sure it has sealed.
- Turn the roll back over so the join is at the bottom.
- Cut into slices and place the rolls onto a greased and floured baking tray.
- Cut gently into the top of each roll once or twice and brush with egg yolk.
- Repeat with the second batch of pastry and sausage mix.
- Cook in the oven at 200 degrees c for 25 minutes.
I find this method makes 10-12 rolls.
Optional ingredients that can be added with or instead of the apple; thyme, sage, chopped onion, mustard.
Children love helping with this recipe, but be sure that they are able to understand that they must not lick their fingers or the mixture, as it is raw meat. Also take proper supervision if they are using knives.